Thursday, December 31, 2009

Working on the Book

Well, I have started on the book. I have developed a format that I think will work. I spent part of the day developing color pallets for the different pages. I want very muted, soft colors. Almost monochromatic, but not quite. Lots of linen like colors. Also, greens, blues, wines, rusts and ochers. I want the pages to look like they are hand lettered in the calligraphic manner, like the monks used to do, on hand made vellum. I might even vary the value of the fonts in places, to make it look more like hand lettering. I have finished one page that has a fancy border, and a large initial cap, along with pine boughs tucked in here and there. I set the body copy in the font, and size I chose for that too.
I do not want to do a lot of illustrating on the pages, like some medieval works I have researched. Some of that work is really amazing. But I do want to give the pages a similar feeling of busyness.
I went online and found some really wonderful fonts for this project. Very fun. I spend most of the day yesterday choosing fonts for the different parts and pieces of the layout. Some of my ideas did not work the way I thought they might, but I found other ideas that would.
I also illustrated a new piece of abstract art for my etsy shop, called Singing under the mangrove trees. I started another today of a sleeping kitten. Very fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment